in partnership with Thrivent Builds
Through the Home Ownership program at Habitat for Humanity Yuba/ Sutter, selected families can realize their dream of owning a safe, decent, and affordable home. Homes are sold in exchange for 500 hours of Sweat Equity and the cost of building the home. The monthly payment on the home will not be more than 29% of the family's total income at closing (which includes mortgage, taxes, insurance and utilities).
- Need for housing: Applicants must currently be living in inadequate housing; including unsafe and unsanitary (other than self-imposed) environments. Applicant must meet income limits defined by the USDA. Please refer to the chart below:
|Family Size||Minimum Income||Maximum Income|
- Ability to Pay: If approved, applicant(s) will assume a 0%-3% loan (with conditions) based on the project cost (typically $40K to $50K less than the appraised value of the home) and must pay property taxes and insurance. Our low-income families typically pay a monthly mortgage payment of between $450 and $550 for a 4-bedroom house (2 to 3 times less than a typical house payment).
- Willingness to Partner: If approved, applicant(s) must fully participate in the application process, attend any home ownership preparation classes, work with the sponsoring organization, participate in publicity, complete at least 500 hours of sweat equity, and exhibit a willingness and ability to partner.
- Residency: All applicant(s) must be United States citizens or legal permanent residents.
- Security & Verification: All applicant(s) prior to approval, who will be living in the home, 18 years of age and older, must agree to a drug test, credit check, background screening and sex offender registry verification.
- Process Time: If approved, please understand that as a non-profit, we rely heavily on donations and the process of home ownership may take up to one year to complete.
Copyright © Habitat for Humanity Yuba/ Sutter. All rights reserved.
The home repair program helps low-income homeowners by providing exterior work to homes to prevent further damage and/or to provide livable standards within the home. Volunteer teams will participate in a variety of work including: roofing, siding, painting, landscaping, replacing doors and windows, and performing exterior repairs at minimal costs to homeowners who would be unable to complete home repairs on their own. Able-bodied homeowners are encouraged to work alongside the volunteers in a cooperative effort. This program is for homeowners earning between 30% and 60% of the area median income.
- Program Limit: Value of service cannot exceed 20% of the owner's property value to qualify for the Home Repair program. Applicant must be the property owner and provide proof of ownership.
- Need for Services: Applicant must currently be living in the home. The home must have damage that falls within the program guidelines.
- Ability to pay: An applicant's annual family income before taxes should be within these guidelines:
|Family Size||Minimum Income*||Maximum Income*|
- Residency: All family members must be United States citizens or legal permanent residents. Applicant(s) must have lived or worked in Colusa, Glenn, Sutter or Yuba County for at least one year.
- Willingness to Partner: Applicants must fully participate in the application process, attend any preparation classes, work with the sponsoring organization, participate in publicity, complete at least 25 hours of required Sweat Equity and exhibit a willingness and ability to partner.
- Credit Report, Background Check & Drug Test: All family members living in the home 18 years of age and older must agree to a consumer disclosure.
- Orientation: Once your application is submitted, you may be contacted to attend a Family Services Program Orientation. The orientation will help you to understand the program and how to prepare the documentation.
*Source: hcd.ca.gov State Income Limits